Monday, March 13, 2006

Life Update (Sorry It's Been Awhile)

I made it safely home from Prague last Monday night and am definitely missing the cooler weather, the beautiful buildings and the fact that I didn’t have to cook a single meal the whole time I was there!

Burkina Faso definitely got hotter while I was away. Deron suffered through some “so hot it’s hard to sleep” nights, but also had some fun watching lots of movies and playing Tiger Woods on his Playstation 2. He also got to eat dinner with several friends so he wasn’t totally on his own while I was gone. We were definitely glad to be reunited, however.

I came home from Prague with a renewed excitement for the work I was called to West Africa to do. The meeting got my creative juices flowing and my brain is pre-occupied with so many projects I’d like to start working on. It’s been hard to lay aside that excitement and re-focus my attention on studying French.

We only have 3 weeks of classes left! We’re starting to feel a little panicked because we realize how much we still don’t know!

As you pray for us, please pray that we will have amazing retention over these next few weeks. Also, once we get settled in Cote d’Ivoire (we’re scheduled to move on April 13), pray that we’ll develop good relationships with French speakers so we can continue improving our French skills. We’re afraid we’ll get so wrapped up in our work (which will primarily be in English) that we won’t make any further progress.

Here are a few fun French phrases we’ve learned:

“Ventre vide n’a point d’oreille” – which, translated, means, “An empty stomach doesn’t have ears” (so make sure your students aren’t hungry or they won’t pay attention!).

“Quelle mouche t’a pique?” – which means, “What fly bit you?” or, basically, “What got your panties in a wad?”

“Nous sommes loin de nos mutons. Revenons à nos mutons” – which means, “We are far from our sheep; let’s come back to our sheep” (the equivalent of, “We’ve chased a rabbit and we need to get back to the point”).

No comments: