Thursday, November 09, 2006

America the Beautiful

I have returned from my whirlwind visit to the United States. I loved every minute of it, but it's really good to be home again. The best thing about being back in Abidjan is that the two of us are finally together again after spending so many weeks apart.

Trip Highlights

Here are some memorable moments from the trip:
--Seeing the beautifully lit Eiffle Tower from the airplane window (I've been to Paris four times but never left the airport!)
--Visiting with Karen and Mary, friends from my missionary stint in Florida who now live in North Carolina with awesome husbands and babies on the way!

--Great phone conversations with family members (I wish I'd been able to see you all, too)
--Seeing the incredible fall colors on the trees...America really is "the beautiful"
--Learning to do video editing -- it's fun but very time-intensive
--Eating much-missed foods like Chick-fil-A chicken biscuits, Marble Slab ice cream, and penne rustica from Macaroni Grill.
--Getting repeatedly lost with Amy in Raleigh-Durham, then switching hotel rooms because she found a peanut (yes, a peanut) in her bed when she pulled back the covers. Random!

The Summit

The Summit conference in Missouri was amazing! I met so many people who are touched by the enormous needs in West Africa and feel God calling them to get involved in the work here. Many want their church to take on the task of getting the gospel to West African people groups who currently have no missionaries working among them and no other way to hear the gospel (we call these Engaging Churches). I think God's going to do some amazing things in this region over the next few years!


Here I am dressed in my finest West African attire so that I'll be sure to stand out as a missionary representative at the Summit. I know what you're thinking -- "That's the wildest outfit I've ever seen..." Trust me, styles like this are all the
mode in Afrique de l'Ouest. We call this one the "Jungle Queen" ensemble. Standing with me are fellow missionary Rita from Mali and a wonderful lady named Pat who let us stay in her home throughout the conference. She took great care of us!

I led three seminars with ideas about how to host prayer events for West Africa. Here I am demonstrating how hands are washed here using pitchers and basins rather than faucets and sinks: I got lots of positive feedback and many people told me they're planning to host a "Flavors of West Africa" event at their church. It was really exciting and affirming!

Please pray for the many churches that attended the Summit -- that God will continue to guide them in how to be strategically involved in the work in West Africa. Pray also for the two of us -- that we'll take time to slow down and get a few days of good rest, and then that we'll have wisdom and discernment as we try to determine the most important projects, trips and plans the next few months! As always, thanks for lifting us up.

3 comments:

Scott and Malinda Elledge said...

Looks like you had a very successful trip. Sorry we didn't get to see you!

Madge said...

I love that dress!!!U look Marrvaalous Darrling! Glad you had a good trip back to the states...but I'm envious of the Chick-fil-A sandwich! :-D

Anonymous said...

It was so good to see you - missing you already! Sorry I got us lost so much - ha!
Glad you guys are feeling better.

amy davis