Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Sunday in Soweto

On Sunday, I went with my teammates Margie and Ethan to visit a small church that meets at a home in Soweto, one of the townships on the outskirts of Johannesburg. Margie is working on a prayer video for the missionaries who serve in Soweto, so I went to help take pictures. I also just wanted to see what it was like!

Soweto is very different from the quiet, almost America-like suburb where we live. I felt like I was back in Africa again! Vendors camped out on street corners, selling fruit, vegetables and ice pops. Honking mini-van taxis crowded the streets as passengers hopped out in the middle of intersections. Kids played soccer on dirt streets. It was beautiful!

But the most beautiful part was the service. The small congregation of 40 or so worshippers joyfully clapped and sang in Zulu and other languages. I have thoroughly enjoyed our local church, where we've been able to worship and learn in our own heart language, English. After three years of attending French services in West Africa, English services have been so refreshing. But this weekend it was truly refreshing to hear rhythmic African worship once again!

(most of the congregation sat under a tree
in the yard, but a few kids camped out in the back of a pick-up truck that was pulled up close to the area where the service was held) (these boys were walking past as the message was being preached)

No comments: