Thursday, April 07, 2011

Cow Troughs and Rough Roads

My trip to Zimbabwe was fantastic! There were some bumps along the way (like taking 19 hours to make a 6-hour drive because two different vehicles broke down along the way - the third one finally worked!), but overall it was a special time. It was great to be back in the country I loved so much while growing up. I got to see lots of familiar places and people -- it was such a blessing to be there again.

Unfortunately Zimbabwe is in the midst of political instability, which has led to an atmosphere of tension, hunger and poverty. However, God is at work in some amazing ways!

(Baptisms in a tarp-lined cow trough)

We visited a remote, rural area where several new churches have been started and over 600 people have become Christians in the past year. We attended an amazing baptism service in which 74 people were baptized in a trough (a cement basin near the water pump where cows typically come to get a drink). One by one, nearly every member of the new church was baptized, from young children to old grandmas. It took well over an hour, but it was such a heavenly celebration, with clapping and spontaneous songs of praise between each baptism.

(The team on the pot-hole filled road to Sanyati)

We also drove a long, incredibly bumpy road (more potholes than pavement) to visit Sanyati Baptist Hospital, where one dedicated, long-term volunteer from America is both the facility administrator and the hospital's only doctor. Faulty equipment and frequent power and water outages significantly hinder the work that can be done, but people from all over the country still come to the hospital because they know they'll receive genuine love and care. They also know they won't be turned away for lack of money - the hospital sometimes sees patients for free or accepts goats and chickens as payment.

(Interviewing the hospital's only doctor, a long-term volunteer who's on call 24/7)

The hospital is in desperate need of more doctors -- if you know someone who'd like to serve there either short or long term, please let us know. The facility has also fallen into disrepair and is in need of a makeover. Fortunately, Baptist Global Response and some partner churches are taking on that challenge! If you'd like to find out how you and your church can help the hospital, visit www.sanyatimakeover.com.

2 comments:

Jordan Fray said...

The Bylers are amazing people. I was at Sanyati in September filming a promotional video to help raise support for the renovation. Lord willing, my wife and I may go all next year to help manage the project. How did you find out about it? Were you an MK?
-Jordan Fray

Deron and Mary Beth Meilstrup said...

Hey, Jordan,

Yes, I was an MK in Zim and now I work with the media team based in Joburg. I'm pretty sure I met you when you came through Joburg at some point. I'm excited to hear you might be going long-term to help manage the project. I know they really need that help.

Mary Beth