Here's what it looks like after the service is over and people start piling out:
There are "good things" and "bad things" about church in West Africa. The services are kinda draining simply because of their length -- reguarly over two hours, sometimes up to three and a half. No exaggeration! Sometimes the derrière gets a little weary, as does the brain after having to concentrate on français for so long.
The best part is the expressive worship! Church members dance, clap, sway and sing without fear -- sometimes they'll ever form a "conga line" and dance through the aisles. It reminds me of David's whole-hearted abandon as he "danced before the Lord with all his might" (2 Sam. 6:14).
A Lesson in Gratitude
He really is worthy of this kind of worship! Yesterday the sermon was about ingratitude. So often we complain about what we don't have instead of being grateful for what He has given us.
Our guard's wife is having a difficult pregnancy, and yesterday he couldn't scrape together the 5,000 franc needed to buy her prescription medication. Can you imagine having an emergency situation, and not having immediate access to ten dollars to fix the situation? We really are so blessed -- spoiled, even -- and we don't even realize it.
Maybe that's why West African Christians dance with such abandon -- they dance with joy before a God who daily meets their needs, even needs we Americans often take for granted, like food and medicine.
Emily and I were talking the other night about how we haven't had up-close-and-personal experiences with every aspect of God's character, simply because life experience hasn't demanded it. For example, I've known Him as my Protector, my Comforter, my Counselor, but never really as my Healer because I haven't faced a life-threatening illness.
I commented that I've never had to depend on Him as my Provider because I've always lived in plenty, not in want.
But you know what? God really is my up-close-and-personal Provider, whether I realize it or not. He just does such a great job at it that I've never had to experience what it's like to be without, so I don't adequately praise Him for the "with." Wow! I really am spoiled.
Goal for the Week:
Exhibit a heart of gratitude, especially when I start to get grumpy, discouraged, and focus on myself, which I am so prone to do.